ACC Online Learning
Advanced Project Management: The Power of Project Leadership
This course should look at project management and leadership, then go into the fundamental leadership mistakes made by project managers and how to remedy them. Throughout, actionable tips and recommendations should be provided to enhance the user's skill set in project leadership. The course is geared for active project practitioners with experience in managing projects and mid- to senior-level managers. The course will provide information that can be applied to current projects, allowing for introspection. New project managers, or those aspiring to lead projects, however can benefit from the course by learning about the skill set required by effective project leaders. (Advanced - 1 hour).
By the end of this course you will be able accomplish the following:
- Describe management and leadership, as well as classify their differences and recognize the importance of both in relation to projects.
- Apply the Theory X and Theory Y, as well as the situational leadership models in project management situations.
- Recognize the three fundamental leadership mistakes of project managers and use recommended tools and techniques to avoid them.
- Explain the project leadership matrix and recognize how your project leadership effectiveness is measured.
- List the seven competencies for effective project leadership.
- Explain the importance of project leadership and change management as methods for delivering successful projects.
Christian Knutson, P.E., PgMP, PMP
Christian Knutson, P.E., PgMP, PMP, is a senior civil engineer and program management practitioner, adjunct professor, author and podcaster. His experience in infrastructure engineering, program delivery, facility management, leadership and international cooperation spans the globe with more than two decades in the military, civil service and the private sector and is shared routinely through his writings.
Over Knutson’s career, he’s developed core skills to effectively lead teams and organizations, negotiate on projects and programs, and achieve success on high-stake infrastructure projects for clients in the U.S., Europe and the Middle East.
Knutson is a U.S. Air Force civil engineer officer and holds an undergraduate degree in civil engineering from Michigan State University and a Masters, Business Administration from Colorado State University. You'll find his writings on LiquidPlanner.com Blog, The Engineering Career Coach and General Leadership websites. He is also the co-host of the popular Engineering Career Coach - cited by Forbes as one of the 15 most inspiring podcasts for professionals – and the Civil Engineering podcast. He currently lives near Cambridge, England.