ACC Online Learning
Advanced Project Management: Sustainability in Project Management
Confirming that sustainability concepts are designed into a project from the beginning ensures that project sponsors and owners receive the maximum value, either through reduced project costs or through reduced life cycle costs. This interactive online course will teach you the principles of sustainability and how you can use this basic knowledge to increase the value in the projects you manage. You will also learn about the effects of climate change on projects and how to properly address the risks that arise from climate change. Additionally you will learn how sustainability can be integrated into traditional project management by addressing each of PMI’s five project management process groups and eleven knowledge areas. (Advanced - 2 hours).
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss climate change adaptation considerations required during project initiation, and apply the climate change risk management approach to projects.
- Identify sustainability factors you can apply to developing or refining a projects business cases.
- Articulate sustainable development factors that will increase the benefits achieved through your project.
- Recognize and apply sustainable development factors across the traditional project management process groups and knowledge areas.
- Describe how project quality can be enhanced through application of sustainable development concepts and how life cycle costs for a building or infrastructure project can be lowered.
- Identify sustainable development factors that will allow you to achieve cost and schedule efficiencies, while also reducing the impact on the environment.
- Discuss the basic sustainability principles, concepts, and theories as they apply to building and infrastructure projects.
Christian Knutson, P.E., PgMP, PMP
Christian Knutson, P.E., PgMP, PMP, is a senior civil engineer and program management practitioner, adjunct professor, author and podcaster. His experience in infrastructure engineering, program delivery, facility management, leadership and international cooperation spans the globe with more than two decades in the military, civil service and the private sector and is shared routinely through his writings.
Over Knutson’s career, he’s developed core skills to effectively lead teams and organizations, negotiate on projects and programs, and achieve success on high-stake infrastructure projects for clients in the U.S., Europe and the Middle East.
Knutson is a U.S. Air Force civil engineer officer and holds an undergraduate degree in civil engineering from Michigan State University and a Masters, Business Administration from Colorado State University. You'll find his writings on LiquidPlanner.com Blog, The Engineering Career Coach and General Leadership websites. He is also the co-host of the popular Engineering Career Coach - cited by Forbes as one of the 15 most inspiring podcasts for professionals – and the Civil Engineering podcast. He currently lives near Cambridge, England.