ACC Online Learning
Advanced Project Management: Project Performance Management
To control a project and keep it on budget and schedule, you need to have a quantified sense of where the project is. How is it doing? Is it on time? Is it on budget? Are the deliverable's being delivered? Are the end users satisfied? To achieve this level of project performance assessment requires a deeper understanding of metrics and measures. During this interactive online course, you will go deeper than the Project Management Institute’s "Project Management Book of Knowledge®" takes individuals in Earned Value Management. This course will also expand your understanding of metrics and Key Performance Indicators, which are essential tools and techniques project managers must develop to effectively conduct project performance measurement on today’s complex projects. (Advanced - 1 hour).
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- List the five steps involved in performing Earned Value Management for effective project performance measurement to a project baseline.
- Apply the various earned value equations to develop the variances and values that define the performance of projects.
- Explain the importance of intangible measures in effective project performance measurement and name some of the more common intangible measures.
- State the four types of project-based metrics, according to time frames for making measurements of project performance factors.
- List the six characteristics of effective project-oriented Key Performance Indicators.
Christian Knutson, P.E., PgMP, PMP
Christian Knutson, P.E., PgMP, PMP, is a senior civil engineer and program management practitioner, adjunct professor, author and podcaster. His experience in infrastructure engineering, program delivery, facility management, leadership and international cooperation spans the globe with more than two decades in the military, civil service and the private sector and is shared routinely through his writings.
Over Knutson’s career, he’s developed core skills to effectively lead teams and organizations, negotiate on projects and programs, and achieve success on high-stake infrastructure projects for clients in the U.S., Europe and the Middle East.
Knutson is a U.S. Air Force civil engineer officer and holds an undergraduate degree in civil engineering from Michigan State University and a Masters, Business Administration from Colorado State University. You'll find his writings on LiquidPlanner.com Blog, The Engineering Career Coach and General Leadership websites. He is also the co-host of the popular Engineering Career Coach - cited by Forbes as one of the 15 most inspiring podcasts for professionals – and the Civil Engineering podcast. He currently lives near Cambridge, England.