ACC Online Learning
Advanced Project Management: Managing Project Teams
Successful projects are not delivered through technical expertise alone. It takes the ability to manage and lead teams and people effectively. The most successful project managers know how to build and maintain an environment in which both teams and individuals are motivated to do their best work. Founded on a wide range of research and real-life experiences, this interactive online course will help you understand how to develop and sustain effective project teams. You will learn tools, techniques, and tips you can add to your toolbox of people-management skills, enabling you to improve performance for yourself, your team, and the individuals on your project team. (Advanced - 1 hour).
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- List the four stages of team development, describe the characteristics of each stage, and explain how effective leaders use this strategy to build more effective teams.
- State five actions a leader must perform when developing an effective team, and identify how you can apply these actions in your own team.
- Recognize the characteristics of an effective leader, and list the six traits effective leaders have in common.
- Describe what servant leadership is and identify how you can apply it to improve individual performance.
- Define the situational leadership theory and apply it to project team members on your teams.
Christian Knutson, P.E., PgMP, PMP
Christian Knutson, P.E., PgMP, PMP, is a senior civil engineer and program management practitioner, adjunct professor, author and podcaster. His experience in infrastructure engineering, program delivery, facility management, leadership and international cooperation spans the globe with more than two decades in the military, civil service and the private sector and is shared routinely through his writings.
Over Knutson’s career, he’s developed core skills to effectively lead teams and organizations, negotiate on projects and programs, and achieve success on high-stake infrastructure projects for clients in the U.S., Europe and the Middle East.
Knutson is a U.S. Air Force civil engineer officer and holds an undergraduate degree in civil engineering from Michigan State University and a Masters, Business Administration from Colorado State University. You'll find his writings on LiquidPlanner.com Blog, The Engineering Career Coach and General Leadership websites. He is also the co-host of the popular Engineering Career Coach - cited by Forbes as one of the 15 most inspiring podcasts for professionals – and the Civil Engineering podcast. He currently lives near Cambridge, England.